Alleged 33.8bn Fraud: Mamman’s Case for Trial within Trial
Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja on Wednesday, March 19, 2025 adjourned the trial of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman to April 7,10, 14 and May 2, 2025 for trial within trial.

Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja on Wednesday, March 19, 2025 adjourned the trial of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman to April 7,10, 14 and May 2, 2025 for trial within trial.
The court while delivering ruling on the objection by defence counsel, Femi Atte, SAN alleging that the confessional statement made by Mamman at the office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC on February 20, 2024 was not voluntarily made, held that the issue of involuntary statement and other grounds of objections raised by the defence counsel can only be resolved by conducting a trial within trial to ascertain their veracity.
“Consequently I thereby order for trial within trial to determine the voluntariness or otherwise of this case,” he said.
Mamman is being prosecuted by the EFCC in relation to the Mambilla Power Project on a 12-count charge, bordering on conspiracy to commit money laundering to the tune of N33,804,830,503.73.
Abubakar, an investigator with the EFCC and the Seventeenth Prosecution
“A lot of investigation activities were carried out with commercial banks, Central Bank of Nigeria and Corporate Affairs Commission, which revealed that there were more than 10 companies’ accounts used that were linked with bureau de change operators like Breathable Investment, Fullest Utility Concepts, Golden Bond Nigeria Ltd, among others”
“While analyzing the account statements, it was revealed that over N26 billion had left the Ministry of Power through bureau de change operators’ accounts on the instructions of the defendant and his cohorts. Upon the findings, we proceeded to invite the defendant. He reported and volunteered his statements in the presence of his lawyer of choice before me, alongside my team members who took his statements,” he said.
He confirmed that all the statements of the defendant were taken voluntarily in the presence of his counsel on February 20, May 10, 11, 12, 15, 17 and August 3 and 9, 2024.
The prosecution counsel tendered
Earlier in the proceedings, the 15th Prosecution Witness, PW15, Okoafor Chinyere Nnenna, a staffer of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN and Deputy Manager,
“We generated the report from our system with the cover letter of CBN and attached letter of account statements which we submitted to them. All payments come with a physical mandate and follow the same process,” she said.
The16th Prosecution Witness,
What's Your Reaction?






