Nigeria now a killing field with 10,000 deaths under Tinubu’s watch – Peter Obi

Former governor of Anambra State, The presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in the 2023 election, Mr Peter Obi, has again bemoaned the senseless killings of Nigerians by non-state actors across the country, quoting figures released by Amnesty International, noting that over 10,000 lives have been lost to terrorists, bandits and other criminal gangs within two years.

Aug 27, 2025 - 13:30
 0
Nigeria now a killing field with 10,000 deaths under Tinubu’s watch – Peter Obi

... Not True, Nigeria Not A Killing Field, APC

Former governor of Anambra State, The presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in the 2023 election, Mr Peter Obi, has again bemoaned the senseless killings of Nigerians by non-state actors across the country, quoting figures released by Amnesty International, noting that over 10,000 lives have been lost to terrorists, bandits and other criminal gangs within two years.

Obi said in a post on his official X handle on Monday that, “We can’t stop bemoaning the unending killing in the country. Despite not being at war, the killing, abduction and banditry incidents in our country continue to be daily and increasing at a worrisome rate.

“The recent attack in Okigwe, Imo State, that claimed the lives of many, with so many others still missing and feared dead, reflects once again, the alarming insecurity reality in our dear country.

“Over the weekend, I read in the dailies that Amnesty International warned that the Nigerian government is emboldening bandits through its “stunning failure” to protect citizens.

“They described the week as a bloody one, recording several deaths across various parts of the country, including the massacre of over 50 worshippers in a mosque in Katsina, the abduction of over 60 people in the same Katsina State, and the killing of over 15 farmers in Mangu, Plateau State, which displaced more than 200 families in just days. All of these in a single week in the country.

“Amnesty International further revealed that in just two years of this administration, over 10,000 Nigerians have been killed by armed groups in various states across Nigeria. Instead of improving security, insecurity has worsened under this administration and in just two years, with new armed gangs emerging.

“Nigeria, which is not even officially at war, has recorded over 10,000 civilian deaths in just two years, a number similar to civilian deaths in Ukraine, which is officially at war.

“This means that, in just two years, Nigeria’s insecurity crisis has taken almost as many civilian lives as a country under open warfare.

“We must now wake up as a nation. The first duty of any government is to secure the lives and property of its people.

“This should concern all of us who claim to be politicians and leaders. We must put Nigerian citizens first, stop the politicking, name-calling, and gossip, and focus on addressing these real issues. The time to act is now. A new Nigeria is possible.”

However, dismissing Obi's claims as a ruse, the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, noted that Nigeria was not a killing field. 

Nigeria Not A Killing Field - APC 

In its reaction, APC Lagos State Spokesman, Mr Seye Oladejo, said in a statement on Tuesday that there was evidence that the Tinubu’s administration had made significant progress in securing Nigeria.

Oladejo's words, “APC utterly rejects and condemns the allegation by Mr Peter Obi that Nigeria is now a killing field with more than 10,000 deaths under Tinubu’s watch.

“These sensationalist claims are not only baseless; they are a disgraceful distortion of reality made in bad faith to score political points.

“Under President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, Nigeria’s Armed Forces have delivered extraordinary successes, dismantling terror infrastructure and restoring stability to previously threatened communities.”

According to him, the defence ministry's midterm report (Aug. 2023–April 2025) revealed that 9,415 terrorists were neutralised, more than 3,159 suspects were arrested, and 5,449 hostages were rescued, even as the ministry's two-year summary showed that 6,260 terrorists were killed, 14,138 terrorists and criminals were apprehended, and 5,365 civilians were rescued, showing that N83 billion worth of stolen crude was recovered.

On military operations across the zones, Oladejo said that in the North-East (Operation Hadin Kai), no fewer than 1,246 terrorists were killed, 2,467 were arrested, and 1,920 civilians were rescued.

According to him, in the northwest (Operation Fasan Yamma), data showed that 1,374 bandits were killed and 2,160 surrendered or were arrested, while 3,288 hostages were rescued.

“These are not statistics; they are lives saved, communities secured, and terrorists dismantled.

“Just recently, the military air strikes in Katsina freed 76 hostages, including children, some kidnapped during a mosque attack that claimed at least 50 lives.

“One child, tragically, died during the rescue, illustrating both the danger and the bravery involved.

Additionally, air strikes eliminated 35 militants in the same region.

“In Borno, precision air strikes killed 35 militants, restoring critical ground communications and stabilising the area.

“A week-long operation in Borno earlier this year neutralised 76 extremists, arrested 72 suspects and rescued eight hostages,” he added.

On the technological and structural strengthening of the military, Oladejo said that under President Tinubu’s leadership, the Nigerian Air Force had been transformed with modern acquisitions.

He listed these to include the purchase of 24 M 346 attack jets, 10 AW 109 Trekker helicopters, among others.

According to him, the Nigerian Army and Navy have also received cutting-edge hardware, from tactical vehicles to patrol vessels, strengthening ground and maritime security effectiveness.

“Local defence manufacturing is booming: DICON has produced more than 4.6 million rounds of ammunition, 53 MRAPs, 14,040 PPE units and even drones, reducing dependency on foreign suppliers,” he said.

He said that the administration had also received credible recognition for the remarkable progress Tinubu’s administration had made in the fight against banditry and terrorism, just as the Coalition for Human Rights and Freedom, CHRF, has commended the armed forces’ performance, citing that more than 13,500 terrorists and criminals were neutralised and nearly 10,000 hostages rescued under coordinated operations.

“These are tangible, verifiable successes, nothing like the exaggerated sensationalism offered by Mr Obi.

“The Nigerian Armed Forces, under this administration, are not only standing tall, but they are also striking back aggressively, saving lives and securing our nation.

“The Lagos APC stands firmly behind the leadership of President Tinubu and our military heroes on the frontline.

“We invite Mr Obi and others to acknowledge the progress made or risk being left behind in baseless political dramatics.”

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow